Tomato-Poached Halibut Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 green peppers, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted green olives
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 halibut fillets (4 ounces each)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 lemon wedges
- Crusty whole grain bread, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in tomatoes, olives, garlic, pepper and salt. Bring to a boil. Adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer. Add fillets. Cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until fish just begins to flake easily with a fork. Sprinkle with cilantro. Serve with lemon wedges and, if desired, bread.
1 fillet with 1 cup sauce: 224 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 651mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 4g fiber), 24g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.